This file contains additional information, probably added from the digital camera or scanner used to create or digitize it.
If the file has been modified from its original state, some details may not fully reflect the modified file.
August 31, 2014
If you feel like beating this game again, try a new challenge: Getting the maximum percentage by using glitches. Read on for an explanation of how to achieve -124%.
1. Start a new file and collect a fair amount of golden bananas with every kong in every level. Be careful not to do any of the following:
Collecting banana medals: Make sure every banana counter stays below 75. Any banana medal you get, except the ones in Hideout Helm, won't be collectable after the file dupe in step 2. In case you do accidentally get a medal, there is a way to recollect it unless it is in Japes or Aztec: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmmrtiPVfJM
2. Make sure a second controller is plugged in before you start or reset your N64. Then do the following sequence of actions on the menu in order to copy your golden bananas into a new file. (video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_g2dcBUVH0)
- Activate Intro Story Glitch.
- View an empty or unused file, but don't start it.
- Enter Rambi/Enguarde Arena or a boss fight and get an Intro Story fadeout through a cutscene. This can be done after 55 seconds from starting Intro Story.
- Start a multiplayer battle. The file you viewed beforehand will be overwritten. Do not to start another battle.
- View the file that holds your current progress.
- Delete the file you want to copy the data into. This works with any file, even the one you viewed in the previous step. Only delete a file you no longer need.
- Go back to DK's barrel screen and wait for one of the random background cutscenes to cause an Intro Story fadeout. The deleted file will be overwritten.
- Either reset your N64 or watch Intro Story.
The file you deleted will now contain part of your initial progress:
- play time (some time is added depending on how long it took you to perform the trick)
- number of golden bananas per kong/level
- number of colored bananas per kong/level
- number of colored bananas fed to Troff 'n' Scoff per kong/level
- number of coins per kong
- Simian Slam upgrades for every kong
- moves for every kong
- weapon for every kong, including upgrades
- ammo belts
- instrument for every kong, including upgrades
- number of melons
The rest of your progress will be gone so you have to watch cutscenes, free kongs, and open levels again. All collectable items will be back in the game since the game keeps track of the numbers and the 'item collected' flags separately. You can hold up to 7 golden bananas per level with every kong. Be careful not to get more than 7 or you will lose at least 8 after reloading your file. The number of GB's per kong/level is stored as a 3 bit integer on the cartridge, which can only save numbers between 0 and 7.
3. To achieve the maximum percentage, make sure you have 7 golden bananas for every kong in every level. Also, get all crowns, fairies, banana medals and boss keys as well as the Nintendo and Rare coins. Blueprints do not count towards the percentage, but if you want to have a max% file with 40 blueprints, make sure to keep the GB counters below 7 before going to Snide. Once the percentage exceeds 127, it will wrap around to -128 and eventually reach -124. That is because the percentage is an 8 bit signed integer, which can display 256 different numbers (-128 to 127). If it was unsigned, the maximum percentage would be displayed as 132%.
- You can use this glitch multiple times and skip bananas that take a lot of time to get. The total amount of collected GB's is what counts towards the percentage, so it doesn't matter if some GB's are still in the game.
- After the last file dupe, collect the banana medals in Hideout Helm before you exit the level or they will be grayed out, preventing you from reaching -124%.
- If you visit Cranky after completing the training barrels and your Simian Slam gets downgraded, Cranky will sell you Super Simian Slam and Super Duper Simian Slam again.